The Cliffs: are 8km long and 214m high,
it is here that one can most easily get a feel for the
wildness of the terrain over which the Celts wandered, for although
they built imposing castles, very often they preferred the outdoor nomadic
life and enjoyed the hunt.
O`Brien's Tower: was built in 1835 by Cornelius O?
Brien a descendant of Brian Boru, the High King of Ireland
and the O`Brien's of Bunratty Castle, Kings of Thomond,
as an observation point for the hundreds of tourists
who even then, visited the Cliffs.
It is the best location from which to view the Cliffs,
from this vantage point one can see the Aran Islands, Galway Bay, as well
as The Twelve Pins and the Maum Turk Mountains to the north
in Connemara and Loop Head to the South.
O`Brien's Tower stands proudly on a headland of the
majestic Cliffs of Moher. Here again we see the extent of the
O`Brien's influence on the history of the Celtic tribes.
Cornelius O`Brien built the Tower in1835.
Cornelius was a man ahead of his time, believing that the
development of tourism would benefit the local economy and bring
people out of poverty. He also built a wall of Moher
flagstones along the Cliffs and it was said in the locality
that he built everything around here except the Cliffs'. He died
in 1857 and his remains lie in the O? Brien vault in the
graveyard adjoining St. Brigid's Well.
Vast colonies of birds nestle along the cliff ledges — fulmaras,
shags, puffins, guillemots, kittiwakes and razorbills together with
varieties of gulls.
O`Brien's Tower is located a short distance from the village
of Liscannor famous for its slate 'flagstones' which
were used at the time for fencing purposes. In fact the story
goes that Cornelius O'Brien, one time member of the parliament
for County Clare won a bet with his English counterparts that he could
build a fence 'a mile long, a yard high and an inch thick'.
These were the dimensions of the flagstones and they were quickly
adapted as building material as well as floor covering
in farmhouses throughout the 19th century. This is evidenced
in Bunratty Folk Park at Mac's Pub. The flagstones bear the
remarkable feature of the imprint of fossilized eels compacted
over thousands of years.